Sunday, December 1, 2013

Remember to upgrade the modelstore schema

I was preparing for an RTM to R2 upgrade the other day and while I was just making sure the RTM was prepared and ready for being upgraded I noticed an error I haven't seen before. As soon as I opened the About-dialog, the SQL Server would throw an error.
Here is an extract of the error:

"FASTFIRSTROW" is not a recognized table 
hints option. If it is intended as a parameter to a table-valued function or to the CHANGETABLE 
function, ensure that your database compatibility mode is set to 90.

A quick search on the net and I found out others had seen this error too. Since I was doing this upgrade on a fresh installed SQL Server 2012 I was now bit by a deprecated keyword "FASTFIRSTROW". This hint is now replaced by FAST n (TechNet).

Easy fix was simply just to update the modelstore schema. Apparently, whoever upgraded this RTM didn't read the CU3 instructions properly. One of the necessary steps in this upgrade was to reinitialize the schema. You can basically reinitialize the schema whenever and as often as you like. You will not lose your modelstore data - it is just a schema update. Not every CU contains schema changes, so read the upgrade instruction on partnersource when doing an upgrade.

My preferred way of updating the schema is this simple PowerShell command:

Initialize-AXModelStore -Server MySQLServerNameAndInstanceName -Database MyModelStoreDatabaseName

When I think about it, I would like the upgrade software do this initialization as part of the upgrade. From the top of my head I can't see any reason why not.



No comments:

Post a Comment